Firestone, Colorado — The competition was stiffer, but Rogue Ales’ Honey Kolsch once again took home Best in Show honors at the 2016 Honey Beer Competition, hosted by the National Honey Board. This year’s competition had more than 50 made with honey beer entries, which were submitted from craft brewers throughout the United States. Rogue Ales’ Honey Kolsch is a Kolsch-style ale brewed with honey sourced from the brewery’s own Rogue Farms in Independence, Oregon.
The Honey Beer Competition was judged by nine certified judges from the Beer Judge Certification Program, and featured nine beer style categories. The submitted beers were judged on their aroma, appearance, flavor, mouthfeel and the role honey played in the beer.
“This year’s Competition was a huge success, more than doubling last year’s entries and expanding to nine categories. The growth of the competition allows us to recognize even more amazing beers and the brewers who use honey in so many different flavor and functional ways,” Catherine Barry, National Honey Board’s director of marketing, says. “It was inspiring to see honey used in so many beer styles, ranging from IPAs to sours to braggots, and play so many roles in beer, from contributing sweetness to adding aromatics to drying out a beer.”
The winners of the 2016 Honey Beer Competition:
Best in Show Winners
Gold Medal: Honey Kolsch – Rogue Ales, Newport, Oregon
Silver Medal: Shenanigans Summer Ale – Indeed Brewing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota – This summer seasonal wheat beer is brewed with Sorachi Ace and Lemondrop hops, and regionally produced white wheat and honey.
Bronze Medal: Marionberry Braggot – Rogue Ales, Newport, Oregon – This braggot uses both marionberries and honey sourced from the brewery’s own farm.
- General Lager: Robert Earl Keen Honey Pils – Pedernales Brewing Co., Fredericksburg, Texas
- General Ale: Honey Kolsch – Rogue Ales, Newport, Oregon
- Wheat Beer: Shenanigans Summer Ale – Indeed Brewing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Belgian-Style Ale: Hive 56 – Allagash Brewing Company, Portland, Maine
- Fruit and Spiced Beer: ‘LSD’ Honey Ale – Indeed Brewing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Braggot: Marionberry Braggot – Rogue Ales, Newport, Oregon
- IPA: Honey DIPA – Bathtub Row Brewing Co-Op, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Stouts and Porters: Cherry Bomb Imperial Stout – New Bohemia Brewing Company, Santa Cruz, California
- Other: Peach Nyssa – Toolbox Brewing Company, Vista, California
For more information or pictures of the winning beers, please contact Keith Seiz at email@example.com or 314-241-0232.